“Big data” has always been a favorite subject of discussion among the Aster Data team. We’ve been talking about big data at least since 2009, long before the term became burning-hot. The big data hype has confused many organization (and vendors) in the market about the best technology or method to solve their analytical business problems.
However, our vision hasn’t changed: from the time we founded the company in 2005 to today where we are part of the Teradata family. Teradata Aster continues to lead the market with technology innovations and reference architectures which provide clear guidance and deliver significant business value to our customers
Today, we are pushing the limits of analytical technology once more, by launching the Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance. The Big Analytics Appliance is a unique machine that can help enterprises see their business in high-definition. By harnessing all existing and new data types in the enterprise, we enable organizations to leverage our powerful SQL-MapReduce framework and business-ready analytics & apps which solve specifics business problems in marketing attribution, fraud detection, graph analysis, pattern analysis, and much more. It unleashes the creativity of bright analysts to go discover new insights to help their organizations grow revenue and create sustainable competitive advantage.
So what is the Big Analytics Appliance? It’s five things in one box:
- Aster + Apache Hadoop (100% open source via the Hortonworks HDP distribution), fully integrated in one box
- ANSI-standard SQL and next-generation MapReduce, fully integrated
- More than 50 ready-to-use MapReduce apps, to deliver immediate business value
- Full ecosystem connectivity for both Aster and Hadoop; with BI, ETL and other existing IT systems
- The latest-generation, most efficient hardware platform, specifically optimized for Aster, Hadoop, and Big Analytics
Loyal to our Stanford roots, the appliance comes in Cardinal-red color!
The Big Analytics Appliance packs a long list of essential and unique technologies, including:
- SQL-MapReduce®, industry’s only true SQL/MapReduce integration
- SQL-H™, industry’s only ANSI-standard SQL and Hadoop integration
- Teradata Viewpoint, the most advanced database monitoring platform now extended to Aster and Hadoop
- Teradata TVI a very sophisticated hardware support and failure prevention software, now ported to Hadoop as well as to Aster
- Infiniband network interconnect – makes ultra-high-performance connectivity between Aster and Hadoop, as well as scalability, a non-issue
- Small factor disk drives and dense enclosures – make this appliance one of the most dense and space-efficient big data platforms in the market
And, of course, everything in this appliance is packaged, integrated, pre-tested and supported by Teradata – the most trusted brand in data management and analytics.
I also want to take a moment to talk about our Unified Data Architecture vision for the enterprise. When most vendors out there talk about big data at a very high level without explaining where it fits and how it relates with traditional technologies like data warehousing, we decided to do the hard work of figuring out how different technologies complement each other and for what purpose. The result of that was the diagram below that showcases how Teradata, Aster & Hadoop can work together in tandem to provide a complete data solution for enterprise environments:
We also went one step further and now have a matrix that explains what technology (or technologies) are more appropriate for what use case – given a workload/use case and a specific type of data. The result of that exercise is below:
If you want to know more about our Unified Data Architecture vision, read the whitepaper we co-authored with Hortonworks, or feel free to contact us and we’ll be happy to discuss with you this concept and how it’d fit into your environment.
Through tightly integrating Aster and Hadoop, the new Big Analytics Appliance addresses a large part of the Unified Data Architecture; and via the Teradata-Aster and Teradata-Hadoop connectors, Teradata now has all the necessary pieces to help enterprises extract the maximum business value from all their data and execute on their Big Data vision. At Aster, just like at Teradata, we are committed to continuously provide the best innovations to help our customers have the power to make the best decision possible.
P.S. If you want to try out Aster without ordering a full Aster box, we now allow you to download an Aster virtual appliance! Go give it a try: http://www.asterdata.com/AsterExpress